Friday, February 26, 2010

Write For Ten Topic: My Dream House or Home

Right now I am living my dream--I am living in a 34' travel trailer with two slides. But some day when I grow up, I would like to have a house again.

My husband and I have been looking for a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom flat house, preferably with two or three acres of land. The ideal place right now would be in west Georgia, west of Douglasville; or in east Alabama, east of Anniston. That leaves a pretty wide swath in which to look.

I want one of those white frame houses with a wide front porch, the kind you think of when you think of Grandma's House. It doesn't necesessarily have to have the white picket fence.  I want a large kitchen with lots of counter space, and big pantry. I love to cook, so I need room for all my pots and pans. The house should also have a place for me to put my sewing machine and craft supplies, the things I love to do, that will keep me busy in my old age.

My husband would like to have a garage or storage shed in the back yard. There should be room for flower gardens and a raised bed vegetable garden so we can grow our own food. A strawberry patch and some raspberry vines, and an asparagus bed should be in the picture as well. I'll plant some purple irises and some of those orange day lillies along the back of the yard, so I can see them from the kitchen window. The back yard won't be complete without a place for a barbecue.

My dream home doesn't have to be very fancy or big, but it has to have room for the grandchildren to spend the night and ride their bikes along a country road. I'll make a tire swing to hang from the huge oak tree in the front yard.

And I don't care if I have to drive 20 miles to get to the grocery store--I want to be out where I can breathe easy and not hear the traffic on the highway.

2 comments:

Donna McNicol said...

That's why we bought our TN land...enough privacy for us with 5 acres, on a dead end road (we're at the end) yet close to a reasonable size town for basic shopping. Hated small towns growing up...now love them!

Lynilu said...

I'm with you on the breathing space! I'm lucky .... my little small town grocery is only ten miles away!