Thursday, March 4, 2010

Write For Ten Topic: My Favorite Smell

Ah, the fragrance of fresh laundry, of sheets that have hung out on a line in the sunshine! That smell takes me back to my childhood, before we had an electric clothes dryer. My mother hung all the laundry outside to dry. Oh laundry day, I almost couldn't wait to get into bed with those fresh washed sheets!

The sight of clean laundry flapping in the breeze on a sunny day is so welcome! Just the fact that they are there tells that someone cares, that someone wants their family to be clean and happy. That Mama took the time to change the beds and make them up. That love lives in that house where the clothesline hangs.

The feel of fresh sheets on newly bathed legs makes me think of days spent running barefoot through grass as a child. Feet that go so dirty they looked as red as the Georgia clay where I grew up. Mama made us all take a bath every night of course, but on laundry day, we couldn't even think of getting in that fresh washed bed before taking a bath and making sure our feet were clean! And those fluffy sun dried towels--just icing on the cake!

Yes, the smell of freshly laundered sheets is a powerful smell, one that can take me back fifty years or more. A smell that good can't be duplicated by turning the drum of the dryer--those sheet have to soak up that smell from the sunshine and clouds.

2 comments:

Lynilu said...

Mmmm-hmmmm. Another good smell!

hippo chick said...

OMIGOSH, Karen. Go read my post. I swear I hadn't read yours when I posted mine.

P.