Monday, March 8, 2010

Write For Ten Topic: What Color Is Your Hair?

What is your natural hair color? What other colors has it been? If you could have been born with a different color, what would that be and why do you think it would have suited you better?

Ahh--now that I am in my late 50's my hair is a nice gray color. When I was young, it was so dark it was almost black. And my hair has a natural curl to it that makes it easy to style but gets frizzy in humid weather.

When I was a little girl, my mother always rolled my hair in rags the night before picture day at school, so that all my grade school pictures make me look like my hair is wound up! I know she meant well, but I hated that so much! What I hated even worse was when she tried to do the Toni Home Perm--I can so relate to the old commercials they used to have that showed the girl sitting on the sidewalk crying because of the perm gone awry!

I only colored my hair one time. When I was about 34 years old, I decided that I wanted a change. The color was a dark brunette with a purple hue to it when I was in direct sunlight. I thought it was beautiful. But when I went to work that Monday, a young twit of a co-worker said "Are you getting ready for Halloween early, Karen?" I wanted to slap that girl on the spot. I went home and washed my hair about ten times trying to get that color out, and I have never attempted to color it again!

No comments: